Tuesday 26 February 2013

The Weather

I have what some might call a "coping method" that has developed in my mind, over time, most likely planted and fed by upsetting, stressful and frustrating experiences. It is no more than a self-invented idea that I refer to as 'The Weather'. 
   
   So think about this for a moment;
You plan to take a walk to the shop up the street to pick buy a newspaper, until you look out of your window to discover it's poring down with rain. You are initially disappointed because you hoped to get out of the house. However, what you don't know and will never know is that, as you moved forward to cross the road between two parked cars obstructing your view, music blearing through earphones, a motorcycle that you hadn't seen would have knocked you straight over. 

The reason I've just told you some tragic story about being hit by a fast vehicle is because I want you to focus on the rain. You see, the rain was the villain until it became the one thing that kept you from leaving your house and walking into danger. I guess I compared the way the weather in the sky affects how our day happens to the way that those little things in life ultimately determine the outcome of a much larger situation. 

   You might think I'm crazy, but on the other hand, you might understand what I'm saying (If this is the case then I'm sure we could be excellent friends.) It might just be a strange concept I've built up in my imagination but I assure you, it helps. 'The Weather' usually does what it does for my best interest, kind of like a friend would do, even if it feels bad at first. I have previously stated that I'm not religious and I do not believe that there is a God "watching over us" or having any say in what happens during life. Despite my agnostic views, I find the idea of some kind of 'force' looking after me through day-to-day life incredibly comforting. That's how I understand why certain people are religious. This has all caused me to sculpt something with my imagination, compare it to weather patterns and come up with the name 'The Weather'.

   'The Weather' helps me feel grounded, it helps me accept bad things that happen and it helps me perhaps understand why they happen. I guess my idea stems from the belief that "everything happens for a reason" which, as you may have guessed, I also choose to believe in. Life never will be easy, for anyone. I mean, we're watching (by we, I don't really mean we. I just mean all you other weirdos) television programmes that feature filthy rich famous-for-not-doing-anything celebrities who still somehow find something to complain about. Life as we know it can be a little shit and so I think it's good for a person to have ideas, concepts and coping methods to get by. The Weather is mine.

You might have your own ideas based around what I've talked about. I would be interested to know.

Until next time,

R.P.

2 comments:

  1. I hear what you're saying, even if I don't entirely agree. Though I've never quite thought about your "weather" theory for myself, iI can see where you are coming from. This may come off a bit cynical, but I simply believe in interesting coincidences. I find stories like this one cool and thought provoking which can be hard for some people. People don't like unanswered question so they dream up ideas that make sense to them. I don't believe everything happens for a reason, I believe we just need something to hold on to in those hectic whirlwinds of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you're saying. I'm not the strongest person on this Earth so I can imagine I create ideas to reassure and comfort myself. Something to hold on to, indeed.

    ReplyDelete